Tuesday 26 June 2012

Tizen: Can it refresh yer phone's 'ead?

Tizen, if you don't know , is the open linux based OS for smartphones and other devices backed by the Linux Foundation, Intel and Samsung. It could best be described as a follow-on project to Meego and Limo (which is one of the things I was working on at NEC).

I don't know who came up with the name Tizen, the Linux Foundation, Intel, Samsung or some marketing consultant, and I don't know what meaning its intended to convey, if any.

For me though, when I think of Tizen I immediately think of Tizer, a somewhat obscure UK brand of soft fizzy drink I remember liking when I was young, even though it was always far from fashionable (much like myself!). Even when it was sponsoring, presumably at big expense, the highly popular Saturday morning music TV shows "The Chart Show" and "CD:UK" with the (annoying) catchphrase "refresh yer 'ead" slogan it never really took off. They tried big sponsorship, re-branding, various slogans and still it didn't become particularly popular. It does, however, still seem to exist, so at least it has fared better than New Coke!

I doubt that a Tizen powered phone will "refresh yer 'ead" anytime soon, but I do wonder if there will be any parallels between Tizer the drink and Tizen the OS. We will get the first indications later this year when the first handsets hit the stores....I wonder what the advertising will be like; anyone want to suggest a floating, red, flip-topped head character?


Martin Yagi.

Martin is available for freelance consulting on mobile standards/collaboration, emerging applications/technology and innovation. To discuss your requirements check contact details in Martin's profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment